Maine to Receive Funding for Energy Efficient Appliance Rebate Program

Significant federal grant will fund rebates of up to $75 on new appliances

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) announced that they are awarding the state of Maine $1,136,700 for the state’s Energy Efficient Appliance Rebate Program. Under this program, consumers can receive rebates to purchase new energy-efficient appliances.

“This funding helps Maine in two ways,” said Congresswoman Chellie Pingree. “It saves families money by allowing them to trade in older appliances for new ones that use less energy and stimulates the economy by boosting sales to local appliance stores.”

The program allows Mainers to get rebates of up to $75 when they buy an energy efficient air conditioner, dehumidifier, clothes washer or refrigerator/freezer.

The program was started in October by Efficiency Maine—a program of the Maine Public Utilities Commission–with seed money from the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI) funds. With Recovery Act funding now in place, the rebate program is expected to be able to run into next summer.

“This stimulus funding will help insure that the program continues into next year and that many more Maine families to take advantage of rebates on new, energy efficient appliances,” said Commission Chair Sharon Reishus, “We’re grateful to get this anchor support from the Recovery Act.”

Unlike the popular “cash for clunkers” car program, consumers do not need to trade an old appliance to be eligible for rebates. Just obtain a mail-in rebate form from the retailer and send it in with your receipt.

“Appliances consume a lot of electricity and can be a drain on family budgets,” said Congressman Mike Michaud. “These rebates will help more people afford more efficient appliances. This will cut down on energy use and save families money over the long term.”

Prior to the end of Fiscal Year 2009, DOE awarded 10% of States’ Energy Star appliance rebates, with the balance to be delivered following approval of each state’s application and program plan. Today, DOE is awarding the remaining 90% to 7 states, including Maine. More information from the DOE on the Energy Efficient Appliance Rebate Program can be found on their website .

- See more at: http://maineinsights.com/perma/maine-to-receive-funding-for-energy-efficient-appliance-rebate-program#sthash.pdXj4w1A.dpuf