< Back to all posts
  • Coast Guard rescues 9 from incidents this week off the coast of Maine

    The crew at Coast Guard Station Rockland, Maine, rescued two people from a sailboat taking on water July 5th about six miles southeast of Owl’s Head Lighthouse.

    A crewmember aboard the sailboat Ingomar sent a radio hail for help to the Coast Guard station shortly before 10 a.m. reporting they were in distress and taking on water.

    A 47-foot Motor Life Boat crew and a 29-foot response boat crew from the station both deployed to help the two people.

    After arriving on scene, a rescue and assistance team with dewatering equipment went aboard the sailboat to control the flooding. The team used a pump to keep the sailboat dewatered and afloat until it arrived at Journey’s End Marina in Rockland, where it was immediately hauled out of the water.

    "Today is my fourth day since assuming command at Coast Guard Station Rockland and I couldn't have been more impressed with the response efforts all around," said Chief Warrant Officer Hans Schultz, the station's commanding officer.  "From quickly arriving on scene and dewatering the vessel to working with a local marina to expedite the sailboat's haul out, it's clear this crew is trained and ready for when their community needs them."

    On Sunday, July 3, 2016  the Coast Guard rescue crews recovered seven stranded kayakers from Burnt Porcupine Island, Maine. The seven were on a guided tour when high afternoon winds, ranging from 15 to 25 miles per hour, prevented them from returning. Rather than risk it, they located the nearest island, made landfall, and awaited recovery.

    With no local assets available, Bar Harbor Fire Department contacted Coast Guard Sector Northern New England in Portsmouth at 12:15 p.m. There, Coast Guard watchstanders diverted a 47-foot Motor Lifeboat crew from Station Southwest Harbor, already underway from another case. 

    The boat crew arrived at the island, steadied up on the leeward side, and brought the seven people and their kayaks aboard at 2:15 p.m. Roughly ten minutes later, they were all safely at the pier in Bar Harbor. 

    There were no injuries reported. 

    “These folks did the right thing,” said Chief Petty Officer David Lebrecht, command duty officer at the Sector Northern New England command center. 

    He said the wind was calm in the morning, but increased as the air temperature warmed in the afternoon, which is typical for the area. 

    “When the weather changed, they were smart to call it quits and call for help, instead of pushing on against the elements,” he said.