Commercial Burglaries – Gas Stations and Cigarette Shops in Portland, Maine
Portland Police Detectives are investigating a series of Commercial Burglaries in the city.
Over the past month, there have been several burglaries or attempted burglaries to gas stations, markets, and cigarette shops. All burglaries have occurred during the overnight hours and entry was gained by either prying doors or breaking glass. Items stolen include cash and large quantities of cigarettes.
These burglaries have occurred at;
- Hilltop Superette 135 Congress St.on December 16th
- Peace Food Market 21 Chestnut St. on December 24th
- Cigarette Shopper 263 St. John on December 30th
- Jakes’ Quik Stop 205 Brighton Av. on January 10th
- The Riverton Gas Station 1585 Forest Av. on January 10th and 11th
- Clipper Mart 55 Riverside St on January 11th
Images have been obtained of at least two male suspects. Police are working to determine the identities of the suspects shown in these images. Officers have increased patrols around various markets and gas stations. We encourage business to limit any cash that they may leave in a business at night and to evaluate the placement of surveillance systems.
Anyone with investigative information, please contact the Portland Police Detective Bureau at 207-874-8533. For emergency calls please contact the Portland Police Communications center by dialing 911 or at 874-8575 for non-emergencies.
To provide information anonymously, community members may contact us by text, internet, or phone.
- Mobile phone users can text the keyword “GOTCHA” plus their message to 274637 (CRIMES).
- Submit tips by going to the Portland Police Department website:
www.portland-police.com and clicking "Submit an Anonymous Crime Tip.”
- Anonymous phone tips can be left on the Department’s Crime Tip line: